Are you looking for an in-depth Dyson Pure Hot + Cool review?
Or more specifically, a Dyson HP01 review, Dyson HP02 review, or Dyson HP04 review?
If so, you’ve landed on the right page.
In this post, you’ll find a comprehensive review and comparison of each Dyson Pure Hot + Cool air purifier.
By the end, you’ll have a clear idea of which is the best home air purifier for you: the Dyson HP01 vs HP02 vs or HP04.
Disclosure: Home Air Guides is reader-supported. As an Amazon associate and affiliate for independent brands, we earn from qualifying purchases made through the links on our site. Learn more.
Dyson Pure Hot + Cool Review (HP01, HP02 & HP04 Models)
When you’re shopping for the Dyson Pure Hot + Cool air purifier, you’ll find that it comes in three models:
Knowing what the differences are between these versions will help you to pick the best one for your needs.
This line of Dyson Pure Hot + Cool air purifiers are unique because they provide three functions:
- Air purification
The Dyson HP01 was the flagship model for the Pure Hot + Cool air purifier and is still the cheapest.
The Dyson HP02 was a step up from the HP01 with the inclusion of Wi-Fi connectivity and a mobile app.
The Dyson Hp04 is the latest and greatest machine that’s even more advanced than the HP02.
There’s No Need for a Dyson HP02 Review
In this guide, we’ll be focusing on the Dyson HP01 review and Dyson HP04 review.
The Dyson HP02 review is not needed.
Because, when you compare the Dyson HP01 vs HP02, you’ll find that the HP02 version is the exact same except for the added Wi-Fi controls.
However, the HP02 doesn’t offer any advantage over the HP04 model.
In our opinion, the Dyson HP02 is an obsolete machine.
If you want a Wi-Fi controlled air purifier, it’s better to go with the Dyson HP04 vs HP02 since the HP04 has a more advanced feature set.
Also, many people gravitate to buying either the Dyson HP01 or HP04 after learning how each of these devices works.
As you’ll discover in our Dyson Pure Hot + Cool review below, both of those air purifiers offer powerful air filtration, heating, and cooling along with a ton of other great benefits.
However, the full range of differences for each model can be hard to spot.
So, to help you make the right choice, we’ll go over everything you need to know about the similarities and differences between Dyons HP01 and HP04.
Dyson HP01 vs HP04 Similarities
No matter which Dyson Pure Hot + Cool air purifier you choose, the HP01 vs HP04, and even the HP02, you’ll enjoy these benefits:
- Air Purification (Using two high-quality air filters)
- HEPA Filter — Captures 99.97% of microscopic particles down to 0.3 microns in size. This includes allergens, dust, mold spores, bacteria, and particulate matter (PM2.5).
- Activated Carbon Filter — Removes Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) and other toxic substances found in the air. It also reduces household odors from cooking, pets, and smoke.
- Air Cooling — These air purifiers double as a cooling fan to help keep you cool during the hotter months.
- Air Heating — These air purifiers triple as a space heater to help keep you warm during the colder months.
- Automatic Mode — These air purifiers monitor the air quality and automatically adjust themselves to filter out contaminants. The heating function also warms up the room to a desired set temperature.
- Jet Focused and Diffused Modes — Jet mode directs the airflow in a longer, more controlled path, like spot heating and cooling. The diffused mode has broader airflow for a wider range of heating and cooling.
- Remote Control — This lets you control the air purifier with a handheld device.
- Oscillation — This feature moves the airflow back and forth so that purified, cooled, and heated air can be more evenly distributed throughout the room.
- Night Mode — This dims the display and runs the air purifier more quietly. It’s an ideal mode for sleeping.
Each of these Dyson air purifiers has been also certified by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) and deemed to be “asthma and allergy friendly” by the AAFA (Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America) and the ASL (Allergy Standards Limited).
These Dyson products have passed a strict set of tests and guidelines for human safety and to help people with asthma and allergies.
Room Size Coverage
With each Dyson Pure Hot + Cool air purifier models, you get up to 400 square feet of coverage for air purification, heating, and cooling.
That makes the HP01, HP04, and even the HP02 great for areas such as:
- Living rooms
- Open floor plans (a combination of living/dining/kitchen rooms)
- Finished or unfinished basements
- Garages and workshops
- Office spaces
Dyson HP01 vs HP04 Differences
This next section of our Dyson Pure Hot + Cool review covers the specific differences between the Dyson HP01 and HP04 models.
While both machines provide an equal amount of air purification, heating, and cooling, there are some design variations that you should be aware of.
Knowing what these differences are will help you choose the model that’s best for your needs.
- Filter Upgrade — The Dyson HP04 has 60% more HEPA material and 3X more Activated Carbon for improved air purification. The HP04 actually has two separate filters while the HP01 has a combination filter. That design makes the HP04 better at capturing airborne formaldehyde, benzene, and nitrogen dioxide.
- LCD Display — The HP04 has a newer display on the lower base of the unit. This LCD screen shows you which particles and gases are currently present in the room, such as pollen, dust, bacteria, smoke, nitrogen dioxide, volatile organic compounds, etc. The HP01 has an LED display that only shows the target heating temperature.
- Oscillation Range — The HP04 has 350-degrees of oscillation while the HP01 only has 70-degrees of movement. The Dyson HP04 can blow purified, hot, and cool air around the full radius of the room.
- Backward Mode — The HP04 includes a backward airflow mode. This allows you to enjoy purified air without heating or cooling function. The HP01 always blows cool air along with purifier air.
- Wi-Fi Control — The HP04 lets you control the air purifier from any iOS or Android device. The HP01 doesn’t have this feature.
- Dyson Link App — This app allows the HP04 to give you real-time air quality reports; create schedules for air purification, heating, and cooling throughout the week; check the filter-life; and operate the air purifier when you’re not at home.
- Voice Control — The HP04 gives you voice-activated control through a smart home device like Amazon Alexa.
As you can see, the Dyson HP04 has a number of additional compared to the Dyson HP01, but those extra benefits do come at a higher cost.
The Dyson HP04 is priced around $200 more than the HP01 model, but for anyone who wants Wi-Fi connectivity and further control over their air purifier, it’s well worth the added cost.
However, if you don’t care about connecting a mobile device to this air purifier, then the Dyson HP01 can save you a decent amount of money while still keeping your indoor air clean, cool, and hot.
Design and Size (Dyson HP01 vs HP04)
It’s worth noting that the Dyson Pure Hot + Cool air purifier did have a few slight design changes between the Dyson HP01 vs HP04 models, but overall, they’re not that much different.
As for the exact design and size for each version, you’ll find:
- Color: Gray base with a gray fan top
- Dimensions: 8.7″ (W) x 8.7″ (D) x 24.9″ (H)
- Weight: 8.6 pounds
- Color: Gray base with a white fan top
- Dimensions: 9.8″ (W) x 9.8″ (D) x 30.1″ (H)
- Weight: 12.36 pounds
Note: Both models also come in a blue color version; however, the HP01 has a blue base with blue fan top while the HP04 has a blue base with a gray fan top. It’s a subtle difference but still worth pointing out.
Our Recommendation (Dyson HP01 vs HP02 vs HP04)
For some people, choosing which Dyson Pure Hot + Cool air purifier can be a hard decision.
Each air purifier offers great air purification, heating, and cooling up to 400 square feet of room space, but which model is the right one for you?
To help make your decision easier, here are a few things to consider:
- If cost is your top concern, go with the Dyson HP01. You can save around $200 compared to the Hp04 model.
- If you want the simplest machine without any fancy features, choose the Dyson HP01. You can literally set it and forget it. While the Dyson HP04 does have more advanced functionalities, they’re not essential for enjoying purified, hot, or cold air.
- If you want to know the exact pollutants that are in your home, choose the Dyson HP04. It includes visual cues on the front LCD display in addition to the mobile app with air quality monitoring and charts.
- If you want Wi-Fi app control, pick the Dyson HP04. The HP01 doesn’t have that feature.
- If you want the widest range of oscillation for air purification, heating, and cooling, choose the Dyson HP04. It can blow air throughout the full radius of the room.
- If you want the option of turning off the heating or cooling functions, get the Dyson HP04. It has a backward airflow mode that disables the fan so only purified air is circulated.
Who is the Dyson Pure Hot + Cool Air Purifier for?
Regardless of which Dyson Pure Hot + Cool air purifier you choose, the following people will benefit most from these devices:
- Allergy sufferers
- Light smokers
- Anyone who wants less accumulation of dust and allergens
- People with multiple chemical sensitivities
- Pet owners dander shedding animals
- People who want to reduce cooking odors
- People exposed to high levels of outdoor PM2.5 air pollution (i.e. city living)
- Anyone who has trouble sleeping at night due to respiratory issues
Dyson Pure Hot + Cool Air Purifier Warranty Information
The Dyson Pure Hot + Cool air purifiers come with a 30-day return policy that includes free shipping in addition to a 2-year warranty on parts and labor.
What Others Have to Say About the Dyson Pure Hot + Cool Air Purifier
Still not sure which version is the right air purifier for you?
Check out more Dyson Pure Hot + Cool reviews on Amazon to see what other people have to say about them.
We hope those comments and our Dyson HP01 vs HP02 vs HP04 review help you find the best air purifier for your needs.