Are you looking for a modern and high-quality air purifier for your home, office, or apartment?
Are you considering the Molekule Air purifier but need some expert advice about it?
If so, you’re in the right place.
We’ve put together an in-depth Molekule Air purifier review to help you decide if this is the right unit for your needs.
Our goal is to highlight the air cleaning features and capabilities of this popular Molekule Air purifier with PECO technology so that you know how well it can remove (or destroy) pollutants from your indoor air.
So let’s get started with the Molekule Air review to see what it has to offer.
Disclosure: Home Air Guides is reader-supported. As an Amazon associate and affiliate for independent brands, we earn from qualifying purchases made through the links on our site. Learn more.
Molekule Air Review
First and foremost, Molekule is a science company.
And that’s an important distinction to understand when you’re considering the purchase of the Molekule Air purifier.
As a science company, the Molekule team conducts extensive research and rigorous testing on indoor air quality and air cleaning technologies. Molekule also works with some of the world’s top independent labs and academic institutions.
That means you’re getting one of the most advanced air purifiers ever designed when you choose this brand.
In fact, Molekule introduced the world’s first molecular air purifier in 2016 with patented technology that brings a new approach to air purification.
When you invest in a Molekule air purifier, you’re getting a unit that destroys the full spectrum of indoor pollutants, breaking them down on a molecular level. Hence the name “Molekule”.
Molekule Air Filter Types
The air-cleaning ability of any air purifier depends on the type of filters used.
The air filtration system of the Molekule Air comes with these filters:
- Pre-filter: This is a high-class MERV-12 filter that cleans out substances with large particles such as dust, smoke, and hairs. This filter also slows down Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) as they pass through to the PECO-filter.
- PECO-filter: The Photo Electrochemical Oxidation (PECO) filter is a nanocatalyst-coated filter that induces a chemical reaction upon exposure to UV-A light. This action breaks down the pollutants into their molecular components. Additionally, PECO technology meets rigorous performance criteria in FDA guidance for use in helping reduce the risk of viral exposure to SARS-CoV-2; the COVID-19 virus.
In comparison to the HEPA standard test, the PECO-filter’s nanotechnology destroys pollutants that are 1000 times smaller.
With this innovative technology, the Molekule Air purifier not only collects but also destroys air pollutants. (Not many other air purifiers offer that capability.)
With the PECO technology at the heart of the air filtration system, the Molekule Air essentially destroys all VOCs, chemicals, mold, allergens, viruses, fungi, bacteria, and ozone gases that pass through it.
As for the filter life, Molekule recommends that you replace the pre-filter once every three months. The PECO-filter also needs a replacement after six months.
To make things convenient for you, Molekule ships this air purifier with a six-month package that includes one PECO-filter and two pre-filters.
Molekule Air Room Size Coverage
The Molekule Air purifier is suitable for large rooms that measure up to 600 square feet.
Additionally, the Molekule Air provides a 360-degree air intake and purification, so clean air is drawn in from all areas of the room.
This unit also disperses clean air out the top of the unit so that it flows into all angles of the room.
This room size coverage makes the Molekule Air ideal for large spaces like:
- Living rooms
- Master bedroom
- Home offices
- Children’s rooms
Here's how other Molekule air purifiers we've reviewed compare:
Molekule Air ACH Rating
When searching for an efficient air purifier, the Air Changes per Hour (ACH) is an indicator of how reliable the unit is. The ACH of an air purifier determines how many times it can clean the air hourly.
While ACH is really a measure of how fast the unit’s fan is, it’s not a suitable measure for a photocatalytic process that is found in the Molekule Air purifier.
Therefore, it’s better to use the room size coverage (600 sq. ft.) and couple that with destruction metrics such as:
- Formaldehyde: 90% removed in 8 hrs.
- D-limonene: 99% removed in 2 hrs.
Molekule Air CADR Rating
When shopping for an air purifier, it’s best to search for features that enable the unit to clean certain harmful pollutants.
The Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) will indicate the ability of an air purifier to get rid of pollen, dust, and smoke (the most common pollutants).
If the CADR rating is closer to the room size, then the air purifier is considered efficient at eliminating those types of pollutants.
The Association of Home Appliances Manufacturers (AHAM) uses this CADR test to identify the optimal brands in the market.
The AHAM has not independently tested the Molekule Air purifier, so there’s no AHAM information available for the Molekule Air purifier.
Regardless, Molekule does its own internal testing and maintains transparency on the obtained scientific data:
- Smoke: 85% removed in 22 mins.
- Dust: 84% removed in 20 mins.
- Pollen: 79% removed in 10 mins.
You can View the White Papers and Technology Reports for more detailed analysis.
Molekule Air Top Features
The Molekule Air purifier comes with varying smart features that place it at the top of most brands.
It offers intuitive usability, top-grade parts, App-based remote control, and exceptional performance.
As for the top features you can expect out of the Molekule Air, you’ll enjoy:
- Touch-Screen Display: A convenient touch-screen display allows for easy settings adjustment. (The experience reminds us of an Apple iWatch, if you’ve ever used one of those before.)
- Wi-Fi Mobile App: It has Wi-Fi compatibility, and you can connect it to your iOS or Android smartphone for remote control. The app allows you to change all of the settings and view the filter status directly on your mobile device. (More details and pictures in the next section.)
- Dual Filtration System: The Molekule features a pre-filter at the base and a PECO-filter at the top for dual filtration. As the air goes through the system from the base, the pre-filter removes the larger particles like dust and hairs. As the air flows through this system, the pre-filter slows down the VOCs passage. The PECO process is at the heart of the purification as the filter has a nanotechnology coating. The PECO-filter reacts with an internal UV-A light to destroy pollutants in the air such as viruses, bacteria, and fungi.
- Dark Mode: This mode turns off the UV-A light. The unit still filters the air but won’t destroy pollutants. Dark mode can be scheduled to turn on and off throughout the week inside the mobile app.
- Environmentally Friendly: The Molekule Air comes with branded filters that destroy VOCs and ozone gases and doesn’t emit any ozone substances that could pollute the environment.
- Quiet Operation: The noise level is between 41-65 decibels (dBa). At its lowest speed, the device runs at its quietest level of 41 dBa which is practically inaudible. Even at its highest speed, the Molekule Air produces 65 dBA of noise which is about the same level as a conversation.
Despite the above modern characteristics, the Molekule Air could benefit from a few additional upgrades such as air quality sensors with a colored light indicator on the body of the unit (i.e. Green = Good and Red = Bad) as well as a Bluetooth speaker for listening to music.
But those wished-for items are not dealbreakers, and not many other air purifier manufacturers offer those benefits either.
Molekule Air App
The Molekule Air is a good smart home air purifier with Wi-Fi capabilities that allow you to connect the unit to your iOS or Android device for wireless control.
The Molekule app is straight forward to use and allows you to do the following:
- Turn the air purifier on and off
- Change fan speed settings
- Enable Dark Mode
- This mode turns off the UV-A light. The unit still filters the air but won’t destroy pollutants. Dark mode can be scheduled to turn on and off throughout the week.
- View filter status (0-99%)
- Activate automatic filter replacements
Molekule Air Design and Size
This review wouldn’t be worthy if we didn’t look at the unit’s design and size.
The Molekule Air purifier has a body crafted from machined aluminum for that sleek look and seamless design. Also, it comes in a silver coating that’s beautiful and blends well with other appliances and furniture.
No other air purifier on the market has that type of exterior casing. It truly is a slick and modern design.
The dimensions and weight of this air purifier are as follows:
- Dimensions: 23″ (H) x 8.25″ (W) x 8.25″ (D)
- Weight: 18 pounds
As you can see, this air purifier is compact and still light enough to be portable around the home.
The polluted air gets into the purifier through the base, and once clean, it disperses through the output vent at the top.
The natural leather handle also allows users to carry it around conveniently and set it up with ease.
Who is the Molekule Air Purifier for?
With the Wi-Fi connectivity, portability, dual filtration with nanotechnology, and touch-screen display, it’s worth it for anyone who wants a modern air purifier for large rooms.
Since the Molekule Air purifier removes common pollutants, it’s a good choice for most users. However, unlike other small-scale air purifiers, the Molekule Air is ideal for family rooms, master bedrooms, and the living area.
You should also buy the Molekule Air purifier if:
- You have allergies.
- You suffer from respiratory sensitivity conditions like asthma.
- You would like to suppress the level of volatile organic compounds in your surroundings.
- You have Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS) and need the best chemical air purifier at home.
- You have a high level of dust accumulation that you would like to reduce.
- You want to get rid of bacteria, viruses, fungi like molds, and other pathogens indoors.
- You want to destroy—not just capture—all types of indoor pollutants.
- You want a good air purifier for the office so you can feel better at your workplace.
Its compact design and lightweight features allow for efficient use.
Also, you can readily adjust the settings from your iPhone or Android device without actually touching the Molekule Air purifier.
Molekule Air Warranty Information
Molekule offers a two-year warranty on all its products. You can request warranty services if you find some of the parts defective.
What’s more, you can get an auto-refill for efficient filter replacement.
Upon purchasing this air purifier, you’ll get a 60-days satisfaction guarantee except for the shipping fee.
More Molekule Air Purifier Reviews
Still trying to decide if this is the right air purifier for you?
Hopefully from this Molekule Air purifier review, you can see that this unit offers a lot of powerful features.
But if you’re still not sure about the quality of this unit, then check out more reviews of the Molekule Air purifier on their actual site and Amazon to see what other people have to say about it.
We hope those comments and this Molekule Air review are beneficial in helping you make a final decision.