Do you want a simple air purifier that does a great job of cleaning the air in your home, office, or apartment?
Are you considering the Winix NK100 air purifier but not sure if it’s the right one for your needs?
If so, you’ve come to the right place.
In this Winix NK100 review, we’ll cover everything you need to know about this popular air purifier.
You’ll learn about all of the various air cleaning features, performance, and capabilities that this unit has to offer.
By the end of this Winix NK100 tower air purifier review, you should know exactly if this tower air purifier is the best choice for you.
Disclosure: Home Air Guides is reader-supported. As an Amazon associate and affiliate for independent brands, we earn from qualifying purchases made through the links on our site. Learn more.
Winix NK100 Review
The Winix NK100 is just one of several tower air purifiers offered by the Winix brand.
While it doesn’t have as many advanced user features as the other models (Winix NK105 and Winix QS), this unit does include the same powerful air cleaning performance as those air purifiers.
Even though this air purifier is simpler when it comes to technology, the upside is that this unit is much easier to use and understand.
So, if you just want a simple air purifier that cleans the air well, this may be exactly what you’re looking for.
Winix NK100 Air Filter Types
To start this Winix NK100 review, let’s look at the various filter types that this air purifier has.
Like the other similar models offered by this brand, the Winix NK100 tower air purifier has a four-stage air filtration system:
- Pre-filter – As the air passes through the pre-filter, it captures large particles, including dust, hair, lint, and dirt.
- True HEPA Filter – This powerful filter removes 99.97% of airborne particles that are as small as 0.3 microns in size. This includes pollutants such as pollen, mold spores, bacteria, pet dander, and ultrafine dust.
- Activated Carbon Filter – This filter was added to remove odors from the room. It can eliminate tobacco smoke, pet odors, and cooking smells. It even has the ability to remove harmful airborne chemicals that might be polluting your indoor air, such as volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
- Winix PlasmaWave – This feature makes the Winix brand stand out from the rest, and it has the ability to make the air in your home incredibly clean and fresh. It uses special technology to put air into a plasma state that reacts with water vapor to break apart pollutants like bacteria, viruses, and VOCs.
The best part about this air filtration system is that all of the filters are combined into a single 360° all-in-one filter design.
So, replacement is easy. Just take out one dirty filter and replace it with a clean one every 12 months.
Winix NK100 Room Size Coverage
As with most of the air purifiers from this brand, the Winix NK100 tower air purifier was created for medium-sized rooms.
Thus, the Winix Nk100 room air purifier can clean the air in rooms up to 320 square feet in size.
That amount of power makes it good for areas such as:
- Living rooms
- Home offices
- Workplace offices
- Children’s rooms
- Small finished basement areas
Here's how other Winix air purifiers we've reviewed compare:
- Winix 5300-2 = 360 sq. ft.
- Winix 5500-2 = 360 sq. ft.
- Winix AM90 = 360 sq. ft.
- Winix C535 = 360 sq. ft.
- Winix C545 = 360 sq. ft.
- Winix HR900 = 300 sq. ft.
- Winix QS = 320 sq. ft.
- Winix NK100 = 320 sq. ft.
- Winix NK105 = 320 sq. ft.
As you can see, Winix has found a sweet spot for room size coverage that meets the majority of people's needs and applied it to most of their air purifier models.
Winix NK100 ACH Rating
The Winix NK100 works hard to remove particles from your indoor air, and how often it does this is referred to as the ACH rating.
ACH is short for “Air Changes per Hour” and this essentially tells you how many times per hour the air purifier can recycle the air.
The Winix NK100 room air purifier has a 5x ACH rating.
That means this air purifier can clean the air in a 320 square feet room once every 12 minutes or five times each hour.
Winix has already provided the ACH rating for you, but if you’re curious about how this number is calculated, then check out our guide on how to calculate ACH.
Winix NK100 CADR Rating
There are three common airborne pollutants that every home, office, or apartment contains: smoke, dust, and pollen.
And the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM) puts air purifiers to the test against those contaminants.
The results of that test are referred to as the CADR rating or “Clean Air Delivery Rate”.
The closer the CADR numbers are to the room size coverage of the air purifier, the more effective the unit is at removing those particles.
The Winix NK100 CADR rating is as follows:
- Dust: 221
- Pollen: 218
- Smoke: 207
These are good CADR ratings.
As explained in our guide on CADR meaning, you want an air purifier with CADR numbers that are at least 2/3 the square footage size that it’s rated to cover.
And the Winix NK100 meets that air quality standard.
Winix NK100 Top Features
As we mentioned previously, this is a simple air purifier without a ton of advanced user features.
So, you won’t find any Wi-Fi capabilities or smart controls on this device.
However, the Winix NK100 room air purifier does include the most essential features you need in a modern air cleaning device, such as:
- Smart Sensors – These sensors monitor the air quality of the room to detect airborne pollutants and then send a signal to the air purifier to automatically adjust the fan speed to remove those pollutants.
- Automatic Mode – This mode works in conjunction with the Smart Sensors to deliver the cleanest air possible at all times. No user interaction is needed to adjust the fan speed settings.
- Air Quality Indicator – This ring of light on the top of the unit gives you real-time information on the quality of the air. The LED light changes colors from blue (good), amber (fair), and red (poor).
- 4 Fan Speeds – If you want to control the Winix NK100 tower air purifier manually, you can choose from four fan speeds: low, medium, high, and turbo.
- LED Auto-Dim Feature – When the lights in the room dim or are turned off, this sensor will notice and adjust the brightness of the LED lights on the control panel so they don’t disturb you while you sleep or watch TV in a dark room.
- Filter Replacement Indicator – These lights will let you know when it’s time to replace the filter so you can always have purified air circulating throughout your space.
- Child Lock – The feature ensures that a small child (or pets) can’t change the settings on your Winix NK100 tower air purifier.
Winix NK100 Design and Size
The Winix NK100 has won several awards for its design and shape, including the 2016 Red Dot Award and Good Design Award.
Like the other tower air purifiers from the Winix brand, the air intake grills are located on the lower half of the front and back of the unit to draw room air in.
The clean air output vent is on the top of the unit, as is the control panel.
The dimensions and weight of this machine are as follows:
- Dimensions: 29.5″ (H) x 12″ (W) x 12″ (D)
- Weight: 17 pounds
Finally, the Winix NK100 tower air purifier also has a handle on the back of the unit to make it easy to move from one place to another.
Who is the Winix NK100 Air Purifier for?
Since the Winix NK100 air purifier does a great job of removing harmful particles from the air, it can be a great addition to any home, office, or apartment.
With the ability of this air purifier to remove harmful chemicals and odors, it can also be used in places that experience a lot of those substances
As for the specific types of people would benefit most from the Winix NK100, those include:
- People who suffer from allergies.
- People with asthma or other respiratory conditions.
- People who want a cleaner home with less dust accumulation.
- People looking to remove harmful bacteria, viruses, and other germs from the air.
- People who want to reduce the level of toxic volatile organic compounds (VOCs) indoors.
- People who want a high-quality air purifier for average-sized rooms, such as bedrooms, living rooms, office spaces, etc.
Winix NK100 Warranty Information
The Winix NK100 warranty lasts for 2 years and claims that the air purifier parts will be free from defects. If any component is found to be defective, service will be provided to replace or repair the part.
More Winix NK100 Reviews
The Winix NK100 tower air purifier doesn’t come with a ton of advanced user technology, but it does an excellent job of removing harmful airborne pollutants.
But, if you’re still wondering if the Winix NK100 air purifier is right for you, then check out more reviews on Amazon to see what other people have to say about it.
We hope those comments and this Winix NK100 review are beneficial in helping you make a final decision.