Are you looking for an easy-to-use, affordable air purifier to improve the air quality in your home, office, or apartment?
Have you seen the GermGuardian AC4820 air purifier and wondered why it’s so popular?
Well, you’re in the right place to find out.
We put this GermGuardian AC4820 review together to give you the insight you need on this air purifier.
By the end, you’ll know exactly how good the Guardian Technologies GermGuardian AC4820 can clean the air.
And most importantly, if this air purifier is the right one for you or not.
Disclosure: Home Air Guides is reader-supported. As an Amazon associate and affiliate for independent brands, we earn from qualifying purchases made through the links on our site. Learn more.
GermGuardian AC4820 Review
The Guardian Technologies brand, and especially the GermGuardian air purifier line, is built on the concept of making it easy for people to live happier and healthier lives at home.
The brand is focused on creating powerful, safe, and innovative technologies with an overarching goal to help facilitate a healthier environment indoors.
So, you can rest assured that when you buy one of their air purifiers, it will do a good job of removing pollutants from the air in your home, office, or apartment.
The GermGuardian AC4820, in particular, is one of this brand’s less expensive models that’s designed for personal air purification and cleaning the air in smaller rooms.
GermGuardian AC4820 Air Filter Types
To start this GermGuardian AC4820 review, it’s helpful to know what kind of air filtration system the air purifier is equipped with.
This unit has the following filters:
- Pre-filter with Activated Carbon – This filter is in place to remove large particles and odors from the air in your home. The Activated Carbon material also has the ability to trap VOCs (volatile organic compounds), which are common gases found in many homes and office buildings.
- True HEPA Filter – This filter has the ability to capture a wide range of smaller particles, including ultrafine dust, mold spores, bacteria, and pollen. Since this filter has the ability to trap 99.97% of particles down to 0.3 microns in size, you can be sure that it can improve the air quality in every indoor environment.
The great thing about these filters is that they’re combined into one unit.
That means that when it’s time to replace the filter every 6 to 8 months, you only need to purchase and swap out one filter.
Note: This air purifier doesn’t include a UV-C light for killing germs. If you want that feature, you should check out the GermGuardian AC4825. And if you’re not sure what a UV-C light even is, then check out our what is UV mode on an air purifier page.
GermGuardian AC4820 Room Size Coverage
The GermGuardian AC4820 air purifier is designed to clean the air in rooms up to 158 square feet in size.
So, it’s good for small- to medium-sized rooms, such as:
- Living rooms
- Dining rooms
- Home offices
- Children’s playrooms
- Small finished or unfinished basement areas
Here's how other GermGuardian air purifiers we've reviewed compare:
- GermGuardian AC4100 = 78 sq. ft.
- GermGuardian AC4200 = 105 sq. ft.
- GermGuardian AC4300 = 153 sq. ft.
- GermGuardian AC4820 = 158 sq. ft.
- GermGuardian AC4825 = 167 sq. ft.
GermGuardian AC4820 ACH Rating
How often an air purifier cleans the air in a room is called the “Air Changes per Hour” measurement or “ACH rating” for short.
As the name implies, the ACH rating indicates how often the air is purified in one hour.
The GermGuardian AC4820 has a 4x ACH rating.
That means the air in a room up to 158 square feet in size is cleaned once every 15 minutes or four times in one hour.
And that’s a good thing for any allergy or asthma sufferer or anyone who wants the cleanest, freshest air possible.
GermGuardian AC4820 CADR Rating
The GermGuardian AC4820 air purifier may clean the air at a rapid rate, but you also want to make sure that it removes the common pollutants that invade the home.
When it comes to dust, pollen, and smoke, the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM) tests air purifiers to see how well they remove those particles.
The results are called the “Clean Air Delivery Rate” or “CADR rating”.
The higher the numbers, the better the air purifier is at removing common airborne pollutants.
If the ratings are at least 2/3 of the room size coverage, then you know you’re getting an air purifier that can remove these items effectively.
The CADR ratings for the GermGuardian AC4820 air purifier are:
- Dust: 112
- Pollen: 131
- Smoke: 102
GermGuardian AC4820 Top Features
The GermGuardian AC4820 air purifier isn’t overly fancy, so it doesn’t come with a lot of extra features.
However, the ones it does have make this air purifier simple and easy to use—and that’s something we can all appreciate.
The top features included in this unit are as follows:
- Quiet Operation – If you plan on running the air purifier while you sleep, you can rest assured knowing that you will be breathing in clean air without being disturbed. When this air purifier is set to the lowest setting, you’ll be surrounded by a low hum that can contribute to a good night’s sleep.
- 3 Fan Speeds – You have the ability to choose between three fan speeds on this air purifier to raise and lower the air cleaning power.
- Filter Replacement Reminder – This air purifier will let you know when it’s time to change out the filter for ultimate cleaning performance. That means you never have to guess when it’s time to replace it.
GermGuardian AC4820 Design and Size
The GermGuardian AC4820 air purifier is a tower air purifier.
It can easily be moved from one room to another to ensure that contaminants and pollutants are removed from the air in every inch of your home, office, or apartment.
The air intake grill is located on the back, and the air is pushed through the filters and then released through vents on the front.
The controls are located on the top of the unit.
This air purifier only comes in black, but the modern design makes it work well with most existing room decor.
The dimensions and weight of the GermGuardian AC4100 are as follows:
- Dimensions: 23″ (H) x 8.5″ (W) x 12″ (D)
- Weight: 8 pounds
Who is the GermGuardian AC4820 Air Purifier for?
Since the Guardian Technologies GermGuardian AC4820 is equipped with a True HEPA filter, it’s a great choice for people who suffer from allergies, have asthma, or just want less dust and allergens in the home.
The ability of the Activated Carbon pre-filter to reduce odors makes it ideal for anyone trying to reduce cooking smells, pet odors, or tobacco smoke.
The Activated Carbon material also traps airborne gases and chemicals that could be polluting your indoor air.
GermGuardian AC4820 Warranty Information
This air purifier comes with a 3-year limited warranty.
More GermGuardian AC4820 Reviews
As you discovered, the Guardian Technologies GermGuardian AC4820 is a simple air purifier that doesn’t come with any fancy extras.
But it does provide excellent air filtration that removes airborne particles from the air in your home, apartment, or office.
However, if you’re still uncertain if this is the right air purifier for you, then check out more reviews on Amazon to see what other people have to say about it.
We hope those comments and this GermGuardian AC4820 review are beneficial in helping you make a final decision.