Are you looking to improve the air quality in your personal space but don’t want to invest in a large air purifier?
Have you seen the IQAir Atem personal air purifier and wondered how good it is at cleaning the air?
If you’re looking for a high-quality desk air purifier, the IQAir Atem might be the best device for you.
In this IQAir Atem review, we’ll cover the top features and air cleaning performance that make it the best air purifier for home personal use.
When it comes to a desk air purifier, you want one that works hard to remove airborne pollutants and harmful elements from your indoor space.
So, let’s see what the IQAir Atem desk air purifier can do for you at home or at work.
Disclosure: Home Air Guides is reader-supported. As an Amazon associate and IQAir affiliate, we earn from qualifying purchases made through the links on our site. Learn more.
IQAir Atem Review
The IQAir Atem air purifier may be small, but it does an outstanding job of cleaning the air in your personal space.
Of course, you shouldn’t expect any less from a brand that has been around for more than 50 years.
IQAir is well-known for building high-quality air purifiers that are excellent against the widest range of indoor contaminants.
When it comes to a personal air purifier, the IQAir Atem has a lot to offer.
It has the ability to clean and purify the air like the larger IQAir units, but since it is so small and portable, it can be used in a variety of different places.
And, if you get the adapter kit, you can even use the IQAir Atem air purifier in your car.
No other air purifier on the market offers dual capabilities like that.
IQAir Atem Air Filter Types
IQAir was very strategic in how they designed this air purifier.
Instead of trying to pack the IQAir Atem personal air purifier with a set of sub-par filters, the company chose to include their most advanced filter in a smaller size:
- HyperHEPA Filter – This filter in the industry-leader for HEPA filtration and you’ll find it all of the larger and more expensive IQAir purifiers. The HyperHEPA filter removes 99.5% of particles down to 0.003 microns in size (the smallest that exist). That means this desk air purifier captures ultrafine dust, pollen, mold spores, viruses, and bacteria so the air around you is healthy and clean to breathe.
Even though there is only one filter in this air purifier, the HyperHEPA filter is the one you want it to include.
It captures the most common indoor pollutants that are harmful to your health and wellbeing.
The only things the IQAir Atem can’t remove are odors and chemical vapors in the air.
Those substances require IQAir’s V5-Cell Gas & Odor filter that’s included with the larger air purifier systems.
IQAir Atem Room Size Coverage
The IQAir Atem desk air purifier is designed to clean your personal breathing zone.
What this means is that it doesn’t have a far reach, but the air within your immediate vicinity will be extremely fresh and pure.
There is no specific square footage rating for the IQAir Atem; however, you can expect it to work well in areas that around 50 to 80 square feet.
IQAir states that the “optimal purification distance is 20 inches”.
That level of air cleaning performance is perfect for use on a desk at the office, on a nightstand in a bedroom, or next to you in the living room.
Additionally, the IQAir Atem is a good air purifier to use in your automobile if you purchase the car adapter kit.
Here's how other IQAir purifiers we've reviewed compare:
- IQAir HealthPro Plus = 1,125 sq. ft.
- IQAir HealthPro Compact = 1,240 sq. ft.
- IQAir GC MultiGas = 1,125 sq. ft.
- IQAir Atem = 50-80 sq. ft.
IQAir Atem ACH Rating
When you’re comparing air purifiers, it’s always good to look for the ACH rating or Air Changes Per Hour.
The ACH rating tells you how many times the air purifier cleans the air every hour in a particular size room.
For example, a 4x ACH rating means an air purifier cleans the full volume of air four times every hour or every 15 minutes.
Unfortunately, the IQAir Atem desk air purifier doesn’t include an ACH rating in its technical specifications.
Since there is no documentation for the total square footage coverage of this device, there can’t be an ACH rating.
The ACH rating has to be based on square feet.
IQAir Atem CADR Rating
In addition to how often the air is cleaned by the air purifier, many people want to know the CADR rating or Clean Air Delivery Rate of air purifiers.
The CADR rating reveals how well an air purifier removes certain pollutants from the air, including pollen, smoke, and dust.
Like with the ACH rating, the IQAir Atem personal air purifier doesn’t include a CADR either.
The CADR rating scale is based on square feet, which the IQAir Atem technical specifications do not include.
IQAir Atem Top Features
Although the IQAir Atem desk air purifier is a simple unit, it still comes with some advanced features.
The top features include:
- Sensor Button – This is how you turn this desk air purifier on and off. It can also be used to change the fan speed settings.
- 3 Fan Speeds – You can adjust the air cleaning power up or down depending on what you need out of the unit.
- WiFi Bluetooth Control – A mobile app gives you the ability to control this air purifier from any iOS or Android device. You can also control up to four IQAir Atem personal air purifiers at once.
- Proximity Sensor – With the IQAir Atem Desk synced to your mobile device, the proximity sensor will automatically turn the air purifier off when you walk away from it. This feature helps to save energy and preserve filter life.
- Intelligent Filter Life Monitor – This alerts you when it’s time to change the HyperHEPA filter. You’ll see a visual LED beneath the air outlet diffuser that flashes red twice when the filter needs to be changed.
- Whisper Quiet – This unit only produces 20 decibels (db) of noise on its lowest fan speed. You won’t even hear it running.
IQAir Atem Design and Size
From the pictures of this air purifier, it can be hard to tell exactly how the IQAir Atem personal air purifier works.
So, this part of our IQAir Atem review will cover that information and more.
This desk air purifier is shaped like a disc with a clear wing-shaped piece protruding from the top.
That part is called the “PureJet diffuser” and it’s where clean is delivered out of the device. You want this part pointed towards you.
The Sensor button is located on the side at the center of the disc. You won’t see a physical button because it’s a touch-sensitive area.
The Sensor button responds to your touch to turn the unit on/off and increase/decrease the fan speed.
This personal air purifier also comes with a stand to ensure it stays upright on your desk or other surfaces.
As for the exact dimensions and weight, these include:
- Width: 5.5″
- Height: 12.5″
- Weight: 6 lbs.
Finally, the IQAir Atem desk air purifier comes in two colors: black and white.
Who is the IQAir Atem Air Purifier for?
As we mentioned at the beginning of this review, the IQAir Atem is the smallest air purifier developed by the IQAir brand.
Therefore, the IQAir Atem air purifier was designed with particular people in mind, including:
- Anyone who wants a personal air purifier at home.
- Individuals who need the best bedroom air purifier for more comfortable sleep.
- People looking for a desk air purifier to use at work.
- Individuals who want a small WiFi smart air purifier. (See our best WiFi air purifier reviews for additional options.)
- Anyone who wants an air purifier for travel purposes, including using it in the car.
- People with allergies or asthma who need the highest quality HEPA air filter.
- Individuals who want to create a clean air bubble that’s free of harmful airborne pollutants.
IQAir Atem Warranty Information
The IQAir Atem personal air purifier comes with a limited 3-year warranty that covers every part except for the filter.
More IQAir Atem Reviews
If you’re looking for a desk air purifier to add to a home, office, or apartment, then the IQAir Atem personal air purifier is a good choice.
However, if you’re still wondering if the IQAir Atem air purifier is the best air purifier for you, then check out more reviews on Amazon to see what other people have to say about it.
We also encourage you to see this air purifier up close on IQAir’s website.
We hope those resources and this IQAir Atem review are beneficial in helping you make a final decision.
When it comes to the IQAir Atem desk air purifier, there really isn’t anything else like it.