Are you looking for the best bedroom air purifier so you can get a better night’s sleep? Would you like to find the best air purifier for bedroom use that can remove dust, allergens, smoke, and other particles that can disrupt your sleep cycles? We’ve done all the work to help you find the best air purifier for everyone’s bedroom in your family.
Disclosure: Home Air Guides is reader-supported. As an Amazon associate and affiliate for independent brands, we earn from qualifying purchases made through the links on our site. Learn more.
What to Look For When Buying an Air Purifier
If you’re wondering how an air purifier works, do yourself a favor and familiarize yourself with the different types of filters, because after all, the purifier is only as good as it’s filter.
This filter acts as the first line of defense on an air cleaner. It’s a mesh filter that’s washable. As room air passes through this pre-filter, it traps the largest particles, such as dust, dirt, and hair. By collecting those larger contaminants on the pre-filter, the other internal air filters can work more efficiently at removing the finer pollutants.
This is an essential filter for every good air purifier. The True HEPA type is the best kind of air filter you can get. That’s why every best bedroom air purifier we recommend on this page has it. To be classified as a True HEPA filter, the air filter must be certified to capture 99.97% of particles down to 0.3 microns in size. This includes the most common pollutants found in a bedroom, such as ultrafine dust, allergens, mold spores, bacteria, etc. Some air purifiers, like Blueair and IQAir, use a variation of a HEPA filter to maximize efficiency. While they’re not technically “True” HEPA filters, those alternatives are still superior to standard HEPA filter air purifiers.
Activated Carbon Filter
If you want to reduce bedroom odors or toxic volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that are commonly found in the air, then this filter is your only defense. It contains millions of tiny pores that cause airborne gases and chemicals to stick to the surface as air passes through the filter.
One aspect that all large and small air filters for bedrooms lack is the ability to kill airborne bacteria and viruses. A HEPA filter can trap bacteria but virus particles are too small and therefore pass right through it. A UV-C light is a powerful technology to have on an air purifier in a bedroom because it can destroy airborne microorganisms and pathogens. As air passes by the light while filtering through the air purifier, the UV-C light disrupts the DNA structure of these particles, and thus, renders them harmless to your health. If you want the best air purifier for bedroom that eliminates particles that can make you sick, then look for this feature.
This is a handy feature to have on any air purifier because it helps the unit to work more efficiently. Ionizers emit charged ions into the air that latch onto particles like dust, allergens, smoke, and mold spores, and this bond causes those pollutants to become heavy. As these particles increase in weight, they’re more easily pulled into the air purifier’s filters. It also causes some of these contaminants to cling to surrounding surfaces so that they don’t float around in your bedroom air.
Best Air Purifier for Bedrooms: Top Picks
This is HEPA aia great overall choice for a purifier for bedroom allergies because it removes the smallest allergens and dust particles that cause breathing problems at night. It also cleans the air in large rooms up to 500 square feet, so it’s good for every size bedroom in a home or apartment. It’s one of the most popular and affordable air purifiers for its size and performance.
As for the air cleaning performance, you get a 3 stage air filtration system that includes:
- Pre-filter: Room air must first pass through this filter. The pre-filter traps the largest airborne particles and hair. It also extends the life of the other internal filters.
- H13 True HEPA Filter: This is one of the most powerful filters on market. It’s a medical-grade True HEPA air filter that captures 99.99% of particles down to 0.1 microns. This includes ultrafine dust, allergens, pet dander, mold spores, bacteria, and more so you can breathe easier at night.
- Activated Carbon Filter: This filter does two things: 1) removes bedroom odors so the room smells fresher, and 2) removes airborne chemicals and gases (commonly known as volatile organic compounds or VOCs). This results in fewer toxic chemicals in the air that can cause headaches, lung irritation, and irritability while you’re sleeping.
The other stand out features of this small and quiet air purifier that you’ll enjoy are:
- Dual Air Intake System: Unlike other air purifiers that only draw air in from the front of the unit, this air purifier pulls room air in from two sides. This design makes it much more efficient and faster at cleaning particles out of your bedroom.
- Dimmable Panel Light: The top control panel can be dimmed or turned off so you can use the air purifier as a convenient nightlight or keep the bedroom completely dark while it’s cleaning the air.
- Compact Size: This air purifier is small, yet powerful. It measures 13.5″ (H) x 8″ (W) x 8″ (D), so it can easily fit on a nightstand or table inside your bedroom. You can also place it on the floor.
This unit has thousands of positive reviews from happy customers and does a great job of cleaning the air of harmful contaminants. It offers excellent value and performance for rooms up to 360 square feet.
What makes it a better deal for some people is that you can choose between two options:
With the smart Wi-Fi model, you can control this quiet air purifier with your smartphone or other mobile devices. With the VeSync app, you also get air filter change alert notifications. It also allows you to set up personalized air cleaning schedules throughout the week so that you can keep your bedroom air as clean as possible.
As for the air cleaning performance, it has a 3 stage air filtration system with the following components:
- Pre-filter: For trapping the largest particles.
- True HEPA Filter: For capturing 99.97% of particles down to 0.3 microns in size.
- Activated Carbon Filter: For removing bedroom smells and airborne gases and chemicals.
This unit also has a fully Automatic Mode that monitors the air quality and adjusts the fan speed to remove airborne particles at the fastest rate.
The unique 360-degree air intake system that pulls room air in from every direction and maximizes air cleaning performance. Most other air purifiers only draw air in from one or two sides which can increase the decibel sound levels as air passes through the HEPA filter.
As for the internal filters, you get the same high-quality air filters as our previous review, but in a smaller size and combined into a single replaceable filter:
- True HEPA Filter
- Activated Carbon Filter
Although this unit has one small air filter for a bedroom, it’s still quite powerful. In fact, this air purifier can handle a room up to 170 square feet, making it a good choice for anyone with a smaller bedroom in the home.
A few other features you’ll also like include:
- Night Light: This is a good option for any bedroom and it comes with two brightness levels to ensure that you get a better night’s sleep.
- Timer: This can be set for 2, 4, or 8 hours, and will shut the unit off automatically when the time runs out.
- 3 Fan Speeds: Low, medium, and high so you can tune the air purifier to your desired noise level and air cleaning needs.
This unit has enough power to clean the air in the largest rooms and is certified by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. What makes this air purifier so good is the fact that it uses a 6 stage air purification and deodorization system. In fact, it’s the top leader in the industry for cleaning the most pollutants from your indoor air.
With this air cleaner you’ll get:
- Pre-filter: For the largest particles.
- Medium Filter: For medium size particles.
- BioGS HEPA Filter: This is a longer-lasting True HEPA filter with the same efficiency rating: 99.97% of particles down to 0.3 microns in size. It lasts up to two years.
- Customized Filter: (See details below)
- Activated Carbon Filter: For reducing bedroom odors and volatile organic compounds.
- Ionizer: For revitalizing the air and making it easier for the internal air filters to trap particulates like dust, allergens, mold spores, and other pollutants.
The customized filter option also allows you to fine-tune this air purifier even more, including:
- Germ Defense Filter: Reduces airborne bacteria, mold spores, and particles that carry viruses.
- Pet Allergy Filter: Reduces pet dander, pet allergens, and pet hair.
- Toxin Absorber Filter: Reduces heavy volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and other chemicals.
- Odor Remover Filter: Reduces odors from pets, cigarettes and cigars, cooking, and mildew.
Another top feature for this bedroom air purifier is that it can be wall-mounted or stand alone as a floor unit. That gives you plenty of options for where to place it in your room and the front panel comes in multiple designs to match any home decor.
A Wi-Fi enabled version is also available if you want total control from your iOS or Android device regardless if you use it as a floor unit or mount it on the wall. Best of all, this super quiet air purifier for a bedroom can clean the air in a room between 700 to 815 square feet. That makes it a good choice for big master bedrooms and basement bedrooms.
IQAir is an industry-leading brand name that you’ve likely heard before and this unit far surpasses most people’s needs.
What makes this the compact air purifier great for small bedrooms up to 80 square feet are the following factors:
- Top Rated Personal Air Purifier: Two-time winner of the Global Innovations Award.
- HyperHEPA Filter: This advanced filter captures 99% of ultrafine particles down to 0.003 microns (10x smaller than a virus—the smallest that exist). It’s much more efficient than a True HEPA air filter that you’ll find on the other air cleaners reviewed on this list.
- Smart Wi-Fi Enabled: It can be controlled by any iOS or Android device with the IQAir mobile app.
- Proximity Sensor: With the IQAir Atem synced to your mobile device, the proximity sensor will automatically turn the air purifier off when you walk away from it. This feature helps to save energy and preserve air filter life.
- 3 Fan Speeds: You can adjust the air cleaning power up or down depending on the level of airflow you need out of the unit in your bedroom.
This air purifier has everything you need to ensure maximum protection for newborns and toddlers. It’s compact size also means it won’t get in the way of the play area or prime walking paths.
With this high-quality air purifier, you’re going to get a 3 stage air filtration system that includes:
- True HEPA Filter: For capturing 99.97% of microscopic particles that cause respiratory issues in children.
- Activated Carbon Filter: For eliminating harmful volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and child room odors (i.e. diaper pail).
- UV-C Light: For safely destroying microorganisms that are known to make children sick (bacteria, viruses, and fungi). The UV-C light destroys the DNA makeup of microorganisms and pathogens.
This unit is also considered one of the most quiet bedroom air purifiers available. In fact, the noise level is around 30db which is practically inaudible to human ears. You’ll never have to worry about this device disturbing your child while they sleep.
Additionally, the LED lights on the top control panel can act as a soothing night light on this small air purifier. Finally, this air cleaner can handle a room up to 200 square feet which is a good size for most any child’s bedroom.
This GermGuardian air purifier saves a bit more floor space than some other models and comes in two colors: black and white.
It also has all of the same powerful air cleaning technologies as the PureZone unit:
- True HEPA Filter
- Activated Carbon Filter
- UV-C Light
The GermGuardian brand is well-known for its germ-destroying capabilities and every air purifier designed by this company includes a powerful UV-C light. And because this air purifier includes a UV-C light to kill off bacteria, viruses, and mold spores, we recommend it as the best air purifier for bedroom germs in rooms up to 167 square feet. Having a UV-C light is essential for bedrooms in the basement because mold and bacteria growth is common in that area of the home.
Having an air purifier that can eliminate those types of particles from the air is not only a good choice for your family’s health but it can reduce musty smells and damp odors so your home smells fresh.
According to Consumer Reports, Blueair makes one of the best air purifiers that’s rated as “excellent” for particle removal at both the high- and low fan speed settings.
This air purifier covers up to 185 square feet—making it a good air filter for small bedrooms.
This unit also includes the same high-quality air cleaning capabilities as their larger Blue Pure 411 unit:
- Fabric Pre-filter: This is a machine-washable stocking that slips over the bottom half of the air purifier and comes in six color choices. The pre-filter captures the largest particles like dust, dirt, and hair, thus prolonging the life of the main HEPA filter.
- HEPA Filter: This captures microscopic pollutants down to 0.1 microns in size. (See below for how it works.)
- Activated Carbon Filter: This reduces odors and airborne chemicals and gases.
While the HEPA filter in this air purifier is not the True HEPA type, it actually captures smaller particles that other air purifier units. It does so by using HEPASilent filtration technology which is equal in efficiency to True HEPA filters while using less energy and less noise.
This is a fully customizable air purifier that removes the most common airborne contaminants that cause sleep problems and is a great universal choice for any HEPA Air Purifier.
With this powerful unit, you’re getting:
- 4 True HEPA Filter Types: This allows you to customize the air purifier to meet your specific air quality needs. Choose between Pure (allergies), Silver (asthma), FreshPlus (smoke and heavy chemicals), and OdorCell (pet and baby odors).
- 14 Front Panel Colors and Designs: To match your personal style and fit in with your existing bedroom decor. Includes white, blue, brushed bronze, stainless, black, rosewood, natural maple, and more.
- Sleep Mode: This turns all of the lights on the unit off.
- Pink Noise Frequency: The fan has been tuned to deliver pink noise sounds which can help you sleep up to 25% better.
- SleepScore Validated: Users feel more rested upon waking when using this air purifier in their bedroom.
- Whisper-Quiet: 39 dB noise level on the lowest fan speed setting.
- 4 Fan Speeds: Choose the level of air cleaning performance you want.
This air purifier also has a good power output and can clean the air in a room up to 700 square feet, making it a good unit for the large bedrooms on any level of the house, including the basement.
While the price is a little higher than some other products, it does make a great investment if you want a truly personalized air purifying device with a large HEPA air filter.
As you discovered, there are various types of air filters for bedrooms that can remove unwanted particles that can disrupt your sleep. By choosing any one of the best bedroom air purifiers reviewed here, you can rest assured that you’re getting a good quality HEPA air purifier that’s efficient at keeping the air around you clean to breathe at night.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do HEPA air purifiers really work?
Yes, HEPA air purifiers are dense filters that filter out airborne contaminants. As air passes through the filter, the pollutant particles get stuck in the interwoven fibers of the mesh material. Clean air passes through while the contaminants get trapped. This process reduces the amount of pollution in the air and collects it inside the HEPA filter.
What is the best location for an air purifier in a bedroom?
The best location for a bedroom air purifier is about 6 to 10 feet from the head of your bed without obstructing it’s air flow. You also want the purified air flow to be pointed toward your head. This position will allow you to receive the most benefits of breathing filtered air.
Do air purifiers help you sleep better?
Air purifiers can help you sleep better by removing airborne particles like dust, pollen, allergens, mold spores, smoke, and pet dander that cause congestion and irritate your lungs at night. When you use an air purifier in your bedroom, you can sleep better and wake up feeling more refreshed.
Can you sleep with an air purifier on?
It’s advised that you do sleep with an air purifier running. Sleeping with an air purifier on will keep the air around you clean, which can help you breathe better and experience less congestion.
Does every room need an air purifier?
A good rule of thumb is to have an air purifier in the rooms you frequent most. Most modern air purifiers are easy to move from room to room, so you can move them around as you need. But it’s always good to get the best air purifier type for each room size.
How long does it take for an air purifier to clean a room?
An air purifier can clean the air in a room between 15 minutes to one hour. The rate of air purification depends on three things: 1) the room size, 2) the fan speed, 3) and the efficiency of the air filters.
The ACH rating, short for Air Changes Per Hour, tells you how many times per hour the air purifier filters the air. For example, 2 ACH is two times per hour while 4 ACH is four times per hour. More is better. No matter how long it takes an air purifier to clean a room, every unit does a more effective job when the door is closed so that the air can be recycled over and over again to remove the pollutants.
Can air purifiers make you sick?
No, air purifiers cannot make you sick; however, some versions may irritate your respiratory system if they use ionization or produce ozone.
If you stick to buying small air purifiers that only use air filters to clean the air, you won’t have anything to worry about. In fact, you may experience less sickness because these filters capture bacteria and virus particles from the air that spread illnesses.